Legislative candidates' fundraising on record pace
Candidates for the Michigan Senate and House of Representatives have reported raising $20.3 million so far this election cycle. That total is up by more than 16 percent compared to 2010 , the last time both chambers of the legislature were on the ballot.
- Press Release: Legislative candidates have raised $20.3 million
- House Fundraising Summary, Pre-primary 2014
- Senate Fundraising Summary, Pre-primary 2014
Top PACs' fundraising up 45%
Michigan's top 150 state PACs are setting a blistering fundraising pace in the 2014 election cycle. They have raised $39.55 million so far, which is 44.7 percent more than the top 150 state PACs had raised at this point in the 2012 election cycle.
Self-funding huge in congressional primaries
Michigan candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives raised $7 million in the 2nd quarter of 2014. Self-funding by candidates is a major factor in the 3rd, 4th and 11th District primaries.
- Press Release: MI candidates for U.S. House raised $7M in 2Q 2014
- MI Congressional Fundraising, 2Q 2014
Independent spenders dominating statewide campaigns
Independent spenders are dominating television advertising related to Michigan's principal statewide political campaigns. Through June 30th, the candidates for governor and United States senator account for less than $4 million out of a total of $17.9 million spent for TV in the campaigns.
- Press Release: Independents dominate TV spending in statewide campaigns
- MI U.S. Senate Television Advertising, thru 6/30/2014
- MI Gubernatorial Television Advertising, thru 6/30/2014
As a population, we don't get the representation we vote for. In Michigan's 2012 congressional elections, Republican votes yielded twice as much representation as Democratic votes. That was a highly effective partisan gerrymander.
Descending into Dark Money
Record spending and a continuing trend of diminishing accountability for that spending were the major features of Michigan's 2012 state election campaigns. Details are contained in the 2012 Citizen's Guide to Michigan Campaign Finance, released by the Michigan Campaign Finance Network (MCFN).
- Press Release: Record spending, diminishing accountability in 2012 Michigan state campaigns
- Citizen's Guide to Michigan Campaign Finance, 2012 (pdf)