Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows state officeholders' top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings.
The data was last updated March 11, 2019, covering disclosures available through Dec. 31, 2018.
This page is available because of the support of MCFN donors. To contribute, click here.
72ND HOUSE DISTRICT (A portion of Kent County and Allegan County)
Current representative: The current representative for the 72nd District is Rep. Steve Johnson (R-Wayland). The district includes Dorr Twp., Leighton Twp., Wayland city and Wayland Twp. in Allegan County and Gaines Twp. and Kentwood city in Kent County. Johnson was first elected to the Michigan House in 2016, taking office in 2017. According to his campaign website, Rep. Johnson served in the Air Force and previously interned as a staffer for former Rep. Cindy Gamrat.
A map of the 72nd District is available here.
Rep. Johnson raises money through a candidate committee, Steve Johnson for State Rep.
TALLY: Top Disclosed Donors To Rep. Johnson And Connected Committees From 2016 Through Today
1. Steve Johnson, $29,000
2. DeVos family, Amway, $6,000
3. Chatfield Majority Fund, Lee Chatfield, $6,000
4. Realtors PAC, $3,650
5. Michigan Values Leadership Fund, Tom Leonard, $3,000
6. Matthew Haworth and family, Haworth Inc., $3,000
7. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $2,500
8. Michigan Chamber PAC, $2,500
9. Nextera Energy PAC, $2,500
10. Michigan Insurance Coalition PAC, $2,000
11. Matthew Moroun, Centra Inc., $2,000
12. Peter Secchia, Grand Rapids, $2,000
Top donors to Steve Johnson for State Rep for 2017-2018:
1. Steve Johnson, $23,000
2. DeVos family, Amway, $6,000
3. Chatfield Majority Fund, Lee Chatfield, $5,000
4. Realtors PAC, $2,650
5. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $2,500
6. Michigan Chamber PAC, $2,500
7. Haworth family, Haworth, $2,000
8. Michigan Bankers Association, MI BANK PAC, $1,350
9. Marv Rubingh, Rubingh Dairy Farms, $1,000
10. National Federation of Independent Business, $1,000
11. Michael Jandernoa, 42 North Partners, $1,000
12. Matthew Moroun, Central Transport, $1,000
13. Peter Secchia, Grand Rapids, $1,000
14. Frankenmuth PAC, $1,000
15. John Kennedy III, Autocam, $1,000
Top donors to Steve Johnson for State Rep for 2016:
1. Steve Johnson, unemployed, $6,000
2. Michigan Values Leadership Fund, Tom Leonard, $3,000
3. Nextera Energy PAC, $2,500
4. Michigan Insurance Coalition PAC, $2,000
5. Johnson family, $2,000
6. Peter Secchia, retired, $1,000
7. Matthew Haworth, Haworth Inc., $1,000
8. National Association for Gun Rights PAC- Michigan, $1,000
9. Matthew Moroun, Centra Inc., $1,000
10. Realtors PAC, Michigan Association of Realtors, $1,000
11. Chatfield Majority Fund, Lee Chatfield, $1,000
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at email@example.com.