Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows state officeholders' top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings.
The data was last updated Aug. 16, 2019. For candidate committees, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019. For political action committees (PACs) connected to officeholders, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019.
This page is available because of the support of MCFN donors. To contribute, click here.
7TH HOUSE DISTRICT (A portion of northwest Detroit and the city of Highland Park)
Current representative: The current representative is Rep. LaTanya Garrett (D-Detroit). According to her official House biography, Rep. Garrett previously served metro Detroit as a licensed first responder and is also a small business owner. She is a graduate of Henry Ford High School, Life Support Training Institute, and Wayne County Community College, the biography says.
She is the minority vice chair of the House Families, Children and Seniors Committee.
A map of the 7th House District is available here.
She raises money through a candidate committee, Committee to Elect LaTanya Garrett.
TALLY: Top Disclosed Donors To Rep. Garrett And Connected Committees From 2013 To The Present
1. AFSCME P.E.O.P.L.E., $3,500
2. DTE Energy PAC, $3,250
3. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PAC, $3,250
4. Realtors PAC of Michigan, $2,750
5. Business Leaders for Michigan, $2,500
6. Henry Ford Health System PAC, $2,000
7. United Auto Workers, UAW Voluntary PAC, $1,500
8. Delta PAC, $1,750
9. Sherry Gay-Dagnogo Strong Women Lead PAC, $1,500
10. Michigan Association For Justice PAC, $1,150
Top donors to Committee to Elect LaTanya Garrett for 2019-2020:
1. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $1,000
2. M. Jude Reyes 1999 Trust, Florida, $500
3. U.S. Ecology PAC, $250
4. DTE Energy, $250
5. Delta PAC, $250
6. Auto Dealers of Michigan, $250
7. Governmental Consultants Services Inc., $250
8. Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners, $250
9. Michigan Society of Anesthesiologists, $250
Top donors to Committee to Elect LaTanya Garrett for 2017-2018:
1. Realtors PAC of Michigan, $2,250
2 Henry Ford Health System PAC, $2,000
3. Delta PAC, $1,500
4. Sherry Gay-Dagnogo Strong Women Lead PAC, $1,500
5. Michigan Health & Hospital Association, Health PAC, $1,000
6. United Auto Workers Voluntary PAC, $1,000
7. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $1,000
8. Michigan Association for Justice, Justice PAC, $500
9. Kevin Smith, attorney, $500
10. Michigan Laborers Political League, $500
11. Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters PAC, $500
12. Progressive Women’s Caucus PAC, $500
Top donors to Committee to Elect LaTanya Garrett for 2015-2016:
1. DTE Energy PAC, $2,750
2. Business Leaders for Michigan, $2,500
3. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $750
4. Peter Semaan, $650
5. Auto Dealers of Michigan PAC, $650
6. Michigan Association For Justice PAC, $650
7. Steven Gust, $625
8. Nora Garrett, $500
9. Ford Motor Company Civil Action Fund, $500
10. Michigan Laborers Political League, $250
11. CMS Energy Employees For Better Government, $250
12. Michigan Petroleum Jobbers PAC, $250
Top donors to Committee to Elect LaTanya Garrett for 2013-2014:
1. AFSCME P.E.O.P.L.E., $3,500
2. Andre Durr, $1,000
3. Pam Reynolds-Garrett, $985
4. Esther Files,$860
5. Ruth Garrett, $818
6. Iris Currie, $660
7. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PAC, $500
8. Michigan Association of Realtors, Realtors PAC, $500
9. United Auto Workers, UAW Michigan Voluntary PAC, $500
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at email@example.com.