Top state PACs have raised $22M this cycle
Michigan's top 150 state political action committees have raised $22.2 million this election cycle, through February 10th. That is more than the top 150 PACs had raised through April 20th last cycle. Of the top 150 PACs, 27 are officeholders' leadership PACs.
- Press Release: Top state PACs have raised $22.2M so far this cycle
- Top 150 state PACs, 2014 cycle - through 2/10/2014
Lansing lobbyists spent $35.4M in 2013
Lansing lobbyists spent $35.4 million in 2013 to move their public policy agendas. That total is down by 4.6% from 2012. Much of the detail of who benefits from lobbyists' spending is concealed by reporting thresholds that keep citizens in the dark about who is spending what to influence officeholders and administration officials.
- Press Release: Lansing lobbyists spent $35.4M in 2013
- Top 200 Michigan Lobbyists, 2013
- Lobbyists' Supplemental Nutrition Assistance for Politicians (SNAP), 2013
Constitutional execs raised $7M in 2013
Michigan's three constitutional executive officeholders raised $7 million in 2013, and they have raised $8.7 million so far this election cycle. See where they're getting it, and what the competition looks like.
- Press Release: Constitutional execs raised $7M in 2013
- Constitutional executives' campaign finance summary, 11/23/2010-12/31/2013
- Top contributors to constitutional executive candidates, 11/23/2010-12/31/2013
Legislators raised $6.8M in 2013
Michigan's incumbent state legislators raised $6.8 million for their state campaign committees in 2013. That total is 52 percent higher than comparable figures from four years ago. See who is leading the fundraising parade.
- Press Release: Legislators raised $6.8M in 2013
- State representatives' campaign finance summary, 11/23/2012-12/31/2013
- State senators' campaign finance summary, 11/23/2010-12/31/2013
- Representatives' senate committee campaign finance summary, 2014 cycle
MI congressional candidates raised $14.4M in 2013
Michigan candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives raised $4.1 million in the 4th quarter of 2013, and their fundraising total for the year now stands at $14,355,000. Will there be competitive congressional races in 2014?
- Press Release: Congressional candidates raised $14.4M in 2013
- MI congressional candidates' campaign finance summary, 2013
Descending into Dark Money
Record spending and a continuing trend of diminishing accountability for that spending were the major features of Michigan's 2012 state election campaigns. Details are contained in the 2012 Citizen's Guide to Michigan Campaign Finance, released by the Michigan Campaign Finance Network (MCFN).
- Press Release: Record spending, diminishing accountability in 2012 Michigan state campaigns
- Citizen's Guide to Michigan Campaign Finance, 2012 (pdf)